Quantum Design PPMS (Physical Property Measurement System), as the name suggests, are cryostat modules which permit temperature control and application of magnetic field in a sealed sample chamber space, in order to enable the measurement of various material physical properties. The temperature range possible for a standard PPMS is from 1.8 to 400 K. The temperature range can be extended with an oven option (400 – 1000 K), or a He-3 system (0.5 K). The superconducting magnets available for PPMS are 7T, 9T, and 14T. A wide range of modular options can be installed on the cryostat in order to measure the desired physical property. Within our magnetometry network, our PPMS systems can perform these measurements:
– Vibrating sample magnetometry (VSM)
– AC magnetic susceptibility (ACMS)
– DC resistivity
– Electrical transport
– Heat capacity
– Thermo-electric transport
– Magnetic force microscopy (MFM)
VSM (Vibrating Sample Magnetometer)
The VSM measures magnetic moment and is capable of RMS sensitivity of < E-6 emu with 1 second averaging. It can perform moment versus field measurements in continuous mode (measurement while field is being ramped). This makes it a time-efficient tool for routine quick characterization of samples with good sensitivity.
ACMS (AC Magnetic Susceptometer)
The ACMS option of the PPMS family is capable of the following:
– Measurement of the in-phase (real) and out-of-phase (imaginary) AC susceptibilities.
– AC sensitivity: E-8 emu
– AC amplitude: 0.005 Oe – 15 Oe (peak)
– Frequency range: 10 Hz – 10 KHz
– Direct phase nulling technique measures and cancels background AC phase shifts at every measurement
– DC magnetization sensitivity: 5 x 10-6 emu
This module enables has 12 channels which enable 4 point resistance measurement of 3 devices simultaneously.